In recent years, due to bad news about young people getting too caught up in the image and forgetting what really matters, some heavyweights in the hip-hop world have given up wearing expensive jewelry on stage. The problem is that some young people have been willing to commit crimes in order to have the money to buy expensive clothes and shoes.
But you don’t have to be rich to be fashionable. Hip-hop clothing and streetwear can be both stylish and affordable. The secret is knowing how to buy the look you want.
There are a few simple things not to do:
• Don’t be in a hurry. Give yourself time to explore the options. There are many there. Shop online to get an idea of hip hop clothing and streetwear choices.
• Don’t jump at the first price, even if it seems low. Compare the prices. There are always sales.
• Don’t go with something you don’t like just because “everyone” is wearing it. Urban clothing is all about personal style. Accept your difference.
Now for the back:
• Look carefully at advertisements before going to the store or online. Figure out what you like and see if you can find it at a price you think is reasonable. So start shopping for the best price you can find.
• Mix and match. In other words, maybe you like one thing about one brand and two things about another brand. There might be a third brand that has everything you love. Keep watching.
• Be original. Be yourself. If you like to mix styles, do not hesitate. You could start a trend.
• Make sure you can return clothes if they don’t fit or just don’t fit. Most online and brick-and-mortar stores have good return policies, but check them out before you buy.
• Ask if you can create a comparable look at a lower price if things get too expensive. Just because a brand is expensive doesn’t mean it’s high quality. Sometimes that just means it’s expensive.
Let’s say you’re looking for a great pair of urban jeans. You go to your local store and you find about ten brands. Nothing is on sale and the prices seem quite high. So you go online and you visit two or three sites. On one of them you find the same pair of Coogi jeans you drooled over in the store for half the price. All you had to do was take your time and shop around. You got what you wanted for a lot less money.
It’s true. Patience is a virtue. More than that, however, it pays off. A little of your time invested in finding the right price is worth it.