We need to stop using food as a way to relax, then we will start losing weight fast. Let’s face it, that’s what we all want. It’s so easy to grab hold of food – especially “junk food”, to help us settle in and relax. Many people not only catch food, but also use alcohol or cigarettes to relax. None of these are good for us. Alcohol, cigarettes and food, yes food, can all be addictive.
We need to eat food for nutrition and energy, not as a primary way to relax. We can easily change our daily routines into new ones that will help us relax easily without food, feel great, and achieve the weight loss we seek. It normally takes about 21 days for a new habit to take hold. It may seem long – but it’s not. Think about it – three weeks to a new you. Someone who can now lose weight fast and relax without food.
Don’t confuse “eating to relax” with “eating emotionally”. These are two completely different issues. Many people suffer from emotional eating. They feed on different emotions such as fear, nervousness, upset, an argument or just anxiety about something. What I’m referring to are people who eat for no other reason than relaxation. Many people use excuses such as “I’ve been working all day, I just want to relax” or “I’m done with the day, I’m going to sit down and read or watch TV and relax”. Sound familiar? Of course it’s for me!
So now that we recognize our problem with eating to relax, we need to learn how to change “eating to relax” to “relaxing without eating”. We can do it easily. And here’s how:
1. We just make dinner our last meal hour. Now I know it can be difficult. Especially if dinner time is late afternoon or early evening. Later in the evening, we have to settle down for the day and have low-calorie snacks, such as raw vegetables without dressing, or popcorn without butter.
2. We need to make a rule of not eating in front of the TV. All meals and snacks must be consumed in a designated eating area, such as the dining room, corner or kitchen counter. Also sit down when you eat and appreciate what you have and how good it tastes when eaten slowly. You will feel full faster if you eat more slowly. No more eating unnecessarily in front of the TV or computer for long periods of time – we can tend to eat a lot more this way. Instead, sip a tall glass of water, or even a decaffeinated coffee.
3. Talk a walk for at least half an hour. Take a large bottle of water with you and drink it slowly. You don’t need to walk fast. Walk slowly and enjoy the scenery around you. Walking is very relaxing.
4. Chew gum – this can help the brain believe you are chewing food.
5. Find an interesting activity to occupy your mind. Often we feel that “we have to do something” to help us relax. This may sound silly for adults – but think about the things you did as a kid. Paint by numbers, crosswords, word search books, puzzle assembly, coloring, story writing, etc. If you’re really into it, your mind will be busy thinking about what you’re doing, without getting bored or tempted to eat.
6. Surf the Internet. You will be amazed at how much information, on any subject that interests you, is available to you. But now is not the time to eat. Make it a rule not to eat at your computer.
7. Spend time with your family or friends and show them that you don’t have to eat all the time.
Take it step by step and you’ll see your progress every day. Be happy with your progress and don’t be hard on yourself if you make a mistake. Its good. Just get back on track and still focus on relaxing without eating. Remember, if you feel stuffed after eating a lot of carbohydrate-rich foods, you’re going into fat-storage mode. You don’t want to overeat and feel stuffed, you want to focus on being full, satisfied and feeling good; versus feeling tired and stuffed.
Natural relaxation is extremely important for our health. We need to relax and give our body a break so it can naturally repair itself. But remember, you’re not helping your body if you eat for no reason other than to relax. It’s important when we eat that we eat the foods that are good for us, as you can find in our original PowerFood reports.
Try some of the things mentioned and you’ll be well on your way to relaxing, feeling great, and losing weight easily. It will get easier for you as you start to lose weight, feel better, and develop new habits to relax.