I have very often met people who told me that they would give a lot to increase their metabolism. To start on this topic of metabolism and weight loss, you might be wondering what the benefit of a higher metabolism is. My answer is simple. Having a high metabolism allows you to maintain, burn fat, and lose weight quickly with as little weight as possible. of activity.
But what is metabolism.
Although I’m a dietitian myself (a graduate in food science and technology, specializing in dietetics and human nutrition), the definition I’m going to give you of metabolism is as simple as it gets. Right? good. Metabolism is the rate at which the body produces and consumes energy and calories to sustain life.
However, before I give you my quick advice, I must first let you know that it is not just the advice I am giving you here. There are several other factors that affect your metabolism. These may include, but are not limited to; amount of muscle tissue, frequency of meals eaten, genetics, stress levels, personal diet and activity levels.
Additionally, there are other intrinsic and extrinsic factors that can slow metabolism, such as loss of muscle due to insufficient physical activity, body’s tendency to eat its own tissues because there is no enough food energy to sustain it, and the decrease in physical activity that comes naturally with age.
With the above in mind, there are now some quick tips you can implement in order to boost your metabolism. I have listed them below for your consumption.
1. The first highly recommended tip is to start building a lean, average body mass. Naturally, the metabolism decreases with age, but it is possible to counter the effects. The amount of muscle a person has is a very important determinant of their ability to burn calories and burn fat. So it goes without saying that exercise is essential.
You can do yourself and your body a favor by building up your strength and stamina. You can do this by working out at least twice a week, preferably with weights. Do easy exercises between workouts. Simple tasks like walking the dog and using the stairs instead of the elevator can already burn calories. The key is to match the amount of food to the amount of activity one has.
In most textbooks and websites I have visited, here are some guidelines for doing the right exercise:
For strength training
-Increase the number of repetitions of a particular exercise
-Use advanced exercise techniques when possible
-Add resistance level
For cardiovascular training
-Insert intervals between exercises
-Perform cross-training and combine exercises
– Add resistance and speed
2. Never skip the most important meal of the day. Many people are unaware that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Surprisingly, those who eat breakfast are slimmer than those who don’t. Metabolism can slow down considerably if breakfast is eaten mid-morning or if eating is waited until the afternoon.
3. What about spicy foods. Yes, you should eat spicy foods to boost your metabolism. Hot cooking with peppers can increase metabolism.
4. Avoid sugar. Sugar allows the body to store fat. It is recommended that a person consume foods that help maintain an even level of blood sugar. In addition, progressive exercise 2-3 times per week should be needed to stabilize blood sugar.
5. Sleep more. According to research, it is more risky for people who do not get enough sleep to gain weight. In addition, muscles are regenerated during the last two hours of sleep.
6. Increase water consumption. Water eliminates toxins produced each time the body burns fat. The majority of bodily functions involve water, and the lack of water leads to a decrease in the speed of bodily system operations and, therefore, produces unnecessary stress.
7. Big meals versus small frequent meals. I never found out until dietetics class in college. But what I learned is to avoid eating large chunks of food in one sitting. This dramatically increases your calorie intake. And we saw above that it slows down your metabolism. cutting calories involves eating smaller meals more frequently. This keeps your metabolism high. So I always recommend that you eat small, frequent meals every 3 or 4 hours.
8. Never skip meals. People tend to skip meals to lose weight, which is a big mistake because it slows down the metabolism.
9. Plan meals in detail. Always prepare the right amount of food to eat at the designated intervals. Don’t make the mistake of eating meals sporadically.
9. Forget the stress! Stress, whether physical or emotional, triggers the release of a steroid called cortisol, which lowers metabolism. Also, people tend to overeat when under stress.
10. Green tea versus coffee. I recommend that you increase your green tea intake. In other words, drink green tea. Green tea can be used as a coffee substitute. Tea has the ability to boost metabolism, and unlike coffee, it has no adverse side effects when consumed in excessive amounts.
Achieving the desired body weight is never impossible if one has the determination and patience to stabilize the level of metabolism, which plays an important role in weight loss. A person must realize that eating well and exercising is not just a passing fancy, but a way of life.